I created this recipe for Hemple and I am freaking obsessed with it! I love the flavour of hemp, it’s so nutty and distinctive and it totally makes this nut butter amazing. I’m also obsessed with making my own nut and seed butters!
I created this recipe for Hemple and I am freaking obsessed with it! I love the flavour of hemp, it's so nutty and distinctive and it totally makes this nut butter amazing.
- 3 cups hazelnuts, ideally without skins
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp hemp seed oil
- 10 drops liquid stevia OR ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180℃. Place hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden and fragrant. Be careful not to burn them. Rub them in a tea towel to remove the skins. This process is a little annoying but it removes the bitterness of the skins.
- Add the roasted hazelnuts to a food processor and pulse until oils begin to release.
- Add in the hemp seeds, cacao, hemp seed oil, stevia or maple syrup and salt. Continue to pulse until it resembles a chunky Nutella paste. Transfer to a glass jar and store in the fridge for up to a month.
- I normally buy the already roasted hazelnuts from Scoop Wholefoods to save myself the effort of roasting myself!
- Sugar free option: If you opt for the maple syrup over stevia, keep in mind that this means the recipe will no longer be sugar free. Read more about sugar and my philosophy here.