Baba ganoush is a smooth and creamy dip made from roasted eggplant. This beautiful plant based recipe is a fabulous alternative to highly processed dips that contain canola oil or sugar. Tahini is a great dairy free source of calcium, so a must for any vegans!
Baba ganoush is a smooth and creamy dip made from roasted eggplant.
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp tahini
- ⅓ cup olive oil, plus extra for roasting
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220℃ and turn on the grill setting if available. Place the eggplants on a baking tray, cut side up. Brush the cut sides with olive oil and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt. Add the garlic to the tray and coat with a little olive oil.
- Roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the eggplant is soft and the edges are browned. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Place a sieve over a bowl, and scoop out the eggplant flesh into the sieve, allowing the liquid to drain. You want to discard as much liquid as possible.
- Place the eggplant flesh and roasted garlic, ensuring to squeeze it out of the tough skin, in a blender or food processor with the lemon, cumin, and tahini. Blend until incorporated then slowly stream in the olive oil while the blender or processor is still running. Continue until everything is blended and the mixture is pale and whipped. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a container or jar and leave to cool completely before placing in the fridge to store.
- Any nut butter can be used for this recipe.
- Cook time may vary depending on your equipment.