Kimchi Super Soup
For me the key to a good soup is roasting the veggies before blending. It adds an extra dimension of flavour that is SO worth the extra step, especially with onion and garlic. That toasty and sweet flavour of roasted vegetables is something that just never gets old. And we all agree there’s nothing better than a good soup on a cold night right!
And in terms of gut health, not only has this recipe got some amazing gut health benefits like fermented foods, prebiotic fibres from garlic and onion, and even collagen from the bone broth if using… But I certainly find when my gut needs a break, soup is the best thing for it, super easy on the digestive system but still getting all of that amazing veggie goodness.
Kimchi Super Soup
That toasty and sweet flavour of roasted vegetables is something that just never gets old.
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 kg of any mix of carrots, sweet potato and pumpkin
- 1 (3 cm) knob of turmeric, fresh
- 1 (4 cm) knob of ginger, fresh
- 1 red chilli, optional
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable broth OR bone broth
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- Peace, Love and Vegetables Dill Cashew cheese
- Peace, Love and Vegetables Kimchi or Seaweed Super Kraut
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh herbs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place onion, garlic, and veggies on a tray, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper and place in the oven to roast until soft, golden and caramelised, about 45 minutes.
- Place hot veggies, turmeric, ginger, broth and coconut milk in a blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively this can be done with a stick blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, dollop with cashew cheese and kimchi, drizzle with olive oil and add a sprinkle of sesame seeds and fresh herbs if desired.