Kelp Noodle Pad Thai
This recipe is thanks to Low Carb Emporium. They stock all the things that are hard to find, kelp noodles, pili nuts, flax crackers, green lead stevia, monk fruit and erythritol… These are just a few of the things I get asked about a lot.
This is my version of everyone’s favourite Thai takeaway, but without the MSG hangover (who can relate right!). This recipe is low-carb, vegan and absolutely packed with flavour, and trust me when I say you must make it. I’ve used kelp noodles here which are made from seaweed, and unlike rice noodles, won’t give you a massive carbohydrate load to the system, and also happen to be a great source of iodine! I’ve also topped it with pili nuts which are a fabulous high fat nut which offers the perfect crunch.
Kelp Noodle Pad Thai
This is my version of everyone’s favourite Thai takeaway, but without the MSG hangover (who can relate right!).
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 pack kelp noodles
- 2–3 heads bok choy, slice in half lengthways and washed
- 2 carrots, spiralised or finely chopped
- 3 tbsp cashews, toasted
- ½ bunch mint, chopped
- ½ bunch coriander, chopped
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp fish sauce OR fysh sauce to keep it vegan
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- ½ chilli, fresh, chopped (optional)
- Prepare the noodles by plunging in a large bowl of room temperature water. Leave to sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a small blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and sauté red onion until fragrant and translucent. Pour in the sauce and leave to cook until fragrant and beginning to caramelize, about 2 mins.
- Drain the noodles and rinse. Add into the pan and toss until heated through and coated in the sauce. Transfer to plates.
- Place the bok choy, cut side down onto the pan to brown slightly, about 2 minutes. Add to the plates with the spiralised or finely chopped carrot. Top with cashews, coriander and mint.
- This recipe works with any nut butter