Honey Love Hearts
This recipe is uber simple, with just four ingredients and the versatility to be made into any shape. I’ve used honey as the sweetener here as this recipe requires a sticky sweetener, but at only a quarter cup, the final sugar count is very very low.
I’ve used a really simple icing made from just coconut butter and Essential Reds, but beetroot powder works too. Please note that coconut butter is not the same as coconut oil. Coconut butter is blended dried coconut flesh. It’s actually one of my favourite ingredients of all time.
Honey Love Hearts
A simple cut out cookie recipe with just four ingredients, topped with a beautiful pink icing for a lovely treat.
- 1 cup blanched almond meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut butter, softened
- 2 tsp beetroot powder (I use Melrose Essential Reds)
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond meal and coconut flour.
- Add in the coconut oil and honey. Combine to form a dough. It may be best to use hands here to ensure the mixture is incorporated. Shape the dough into a disc, and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper (this is to prevent it from sticking to your rolling pin), until it is approximately half a centimeter in thickness. Carefully cut out with cookie cutters and place on the baking tray. With the remaining dough, squish it together to form a ball, roll out and repeat the process.
- Place the tray into the fridge for 10-15 minutes before baking (this helps to stop them spreading).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until a slight golden edge appears.
- Once baked, leave to cool on the tray for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the topping by combining softened coconut butter with beetroot powder and stir.
- When the cookies are cool, spoon over the topping and allow to set in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
- You can use maple syrup in place of honey.
- You can use softened butter in place of coconut oil.
- To soften coconut butter, place the whole jar in a bowl or tray of freshly boiled water for 10-15 minutes.