Ultimate Keto Vegan Liv Bowl
I'm not vegan, I'm just passionate about correct meat consumption, and part of that is eating less meat and eating it mindfully (not wasting it etc). I totally consider myself plant based since about 80% of my diet is veggies, and when I'm having a meat-free meal, this is one that I go for!
Using hemp protein in this way takes some getting used to but I love it! Also please note, yes I do follow a mostly keto-ish diet by eating low carb and practicing intermittent fasting, but that doesn't mean I eat meat all day every day! I eat more carbohydrates than the typical keto diet because I eat A LOT of veggies, like I'm talking a lot a a lot. And I definitely don't track this! I haven't tracked a singe calorie in years and have never and will never track macros, for me it's more about what I'm eating and how I build a meal, rather than any kind of numbers. Honestly f** counting and tracking numbers!
So how do I build a meal? Well I only eat 2 meals a day and they are always both #livbowls :D Sometimes they have meat and animal products, sometimes they don't! The below recipe is an example of a vegan #livbowl that I would typically eat.
I'm not a measurer but I've estimated some measurements here... In reality I just drizzle things like olive oil and apple cider vinegar and tahini straight from the bottle or jar. Often I'll add in some shredded cabbage, random veggies I have lying around and toasted nuts, seeds or coconut for a bit of crunch!
- 5-6 cups kale, raw, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons hemp protein (Hemple is my fave)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (Hemple is my fave)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 ish tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 large avocado
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: toasted nuts and seeds, sauerkraut
- Prepare the kale by placing it a large bowl with a generous pinch of salt, a good slug of apple cider vinegar and a good plug of olive oil. Using your hands, massage the kale until it is broken down, wilted and coated in dressing. This is the only way to eat raw kale - far easier on the digestive system. It should be almost halved in size.
- Add in the tahini and continue to massage.
- To the same bowl, add in the zucchini, carrot, hemp protein and hemp seeds and toss to combine.
- Transfer to a bowl, top with avo, an extra drizzle of olive oil and a few more cracks of salt and pepper. Optional to top with some toasted nuts and seeds and sauerkraut here.
For more vegan keto bowls and recipes check out my IG for daily inspo and my other recipes!